Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

BTW: Your request to have xdocs pages (for projects, etc.) built as the come, really ought be doable w/o much change. Calling ForrestDocumenter.documentModule or ForrestDocumenter.documentProject ought have no dependencies. Either we write directly to the log directory (possible) or we write to staging and sync. I don't quite know how to do this to a staging area, and then sync ('cos there are N pages) but I'd like to try, otherwise our site could accumulate a lot of flotsom and jetsom.

If you want to have a dig in, feel free. If this area is a little
'convoluted' and you'd like me to have a shot, no problem. I ought be get
there within the next week or so.

I'm travelling at the moment, and quite frankly until Gump gets back to the point where I can experiment on a change with a edit/compile/debug cycle measured in minutes instead of hours, all of my contributions will be "in the margins". Furthermore, my knowledge of Forrest is nearly approximately zero at the moment.

My brief forray into ForrestDocumenter lead me to the conclusion that a good percentage of that code is really producing things like tables and not particularly Forrest specific.

A way to manage the flotsam and jetsam is to write everything to a directory whose name is based on today's date. "latest" can be a symbolic link to the current date. At the beginning of the run can be some code to create the directory if it doesn't exist (and updating the symbolic link as required), and to delete all but the last "n" directories that may exist.

Anyway, my suggestion is that if you can get something which approximately works, I can help complete it. And we can clearly leave the static forrest code in place until there is something worth replacing it.

- Sam Ruby