I tinkered with using Maven to build commons-id. Some success, but the
problems come down to artefact identifiers. I.e. commons logging is passed
as a dependency (in the build.properties file), but the 'Maven jar override'
fails to kick in 'cos the jar id (all) is different from the artefact id
(commons-logging).

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-commons-sandbox/commons-id/index.html

[please forgive the wrap bug] The salient lines are below:

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/jakarta-commons-sandbox/commons-id/gump_file/commons-id+build.properties.html

# Note 'all' not 'commons-logging':
maven.jar.all=/usr/local/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-commons/logging/dist/
commons-logging.jar
maven.jar.api=/usr/local/gump/public/workspace/jakarta-commons/logging/dist/
commons-logging-api.jar

This page shows the problem quite well:

    http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/gump_xref/output_id_project.html

So, question. Do we try to rename all jar identifiers to match Maven
artefact identifiers (semi-appealing, if there isn't some gotcha) or do we
add a new attribute 'artefactId' to fullfill this role? Any other
thoughts/ideas?

Please let me know if I've not explain the problem well enough.

regards,

Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise
Try Sybase: http://www.try.sybase.com