Niclas Hedhman wrote:

On Monday 14 June 2004 08:15, Stephen McConnell wrote:

So - the questions is ... is there a nice small gump API I can build
against that would enable the possibility for a totally integrated
solution?

Gump is in Python, and I haven't heard of any Java->Gump binding...

If so, what more precisely do you expect?

Without a mechanism to construct paths resolved via gump (or a gump environment and set of rules), you have to construct gump descriptors for each potential classloading scenario. I.e. a gump file for building, another gump file for generating plugin descriptions, a third gump file to run tests.

Clearly a manually maintained set of gump files would be impractical which led to the thinking concerning either (a) automated gump file generation, or (b) gump integration within ant types and tasks. I'm of the opinion that integration would be a much better way to go. So - the question is - how to achieve this?

Taking a non-api approach ...

Gump is creating artifacts along the lines of the following:

    [root] == /usr/local/gump/public/workspace
    [module] == avalon
    [project] == avalon-util-i18n
    [output-jar] == target/avalon-util-i18n-[datestamp].jar

If I understand correctly, Gump then copies the file referenced by [output-jar] to a repository:

    [cache]/[module]/jars/avalon-util-i18n-20040613.jar

With the single exception of [module] handling, this the same as the cache structure used in maven, avalon-repository and the the build tasks I'm using. In effect it seems to me that we are really close to being able to provide a model where gump delegates classpath management to a build container if the the above could be represented as:

    [cache]/[group]/jars/avalon-util-i18n-20040613.jar

Keeping in mind that I'm thinking while witting - it seems to me that if we could construct the [group] based on either a declaration in a gump file (e.g. a project level group id), or possibly via nested [mudules] (e.g. /[avalon]/[util] ) - then a build system launched by gump could do gump artifact resolution and subsequent publication from/to a gump repository using the following two input parameters

  * [cache] directory
  * [datestamp]

(and possibly a list of project id to group id mappings where a standard convention is not used)

WDYT?

Stephen.