installation?

> I'll give a more explanatory answer, but the short answer is that it
> doesn't require changing the Maven installation, so this should be
> easy enough.
>
> plugins are a bit "interesting" in Maven 1.x.
>
> There are installation-wide plugins in $MAVEN_HOME/plugins
> There are user plugins in $MAVEN_HOME_LOCAL/plugins (usually
> $HOME/.maven/plugins)
>
> to gump, I imagine we never go near the second one, and only change
> the first one when we start building Maven from source.
>
> Then there are runtime only plugins - specified as dependencies (as in
> the case above), or built as part of a maven build using the reactor
> (see geronimo, I think).
>
> Since these ones are dependencies, they can be built using gump and
> handled as regular dependencies with jar overrides. They will not
> affect other projects, as they are not installed into either of the
> two locations above - just loaded into memory for the current maven
> run and forgotten once it stops.
>
> > I'm very reluctant to make more parts of our build systems
"installed".

> Not exactly what you mean by installed here. I agree that they
> shouldn't be installed in Maven for all builders to use.
>
> I think that they have to be treated as with other dependencies: use
> jar overrides. But whether you build them from source, or package them
> is up to you. I'd say building them is unlikely to be problematic
> (unless they have some obscure dependencies): plugin:plugin is a very
> simple goal.

Brett:

Any ideas what will happen when a project declares a dependency on a
artifact in both the project.xml and the gump project definition, and
the plugin itself is not built by maven?

This is the case with a plugin in the avalon repository that is build by
Magic and used in Maven under the Fulcrum project.

Steve.