Hi gang!

As unconscious design decisions pop into my head I'll fire off some e-mails.

In gump, including version 0, 1, 1.5, 2, whatever, you specify various bits
about the environment gump runs in and various bits about where to store
stuff inside the xml workspace definition and some other bits inside the
profile definition.

It doesn't make sense, it leads to problems (like having a database password
in an xml file that also contains information that really ought to be
published), it doesn't actually integrate into an environment well (you need
an xml parser to learn anything), and it is sort-of nonstandard (everyone
understands environment variables, don't they) not to mention overkill (you
can href elements into your workspace so your database configuration is
stored somewhere on the other side of the net. Doesn't really make for easy
debugging from a sysop point of view).

In the next version of our in development xml model and in the development
of gump3, configuration information is left out and instead provided on the
commandline or using environment variables. You do stuff like

  GUMP_HOME=~/gump gump run --databaseuser=gump

It's hacker-friendly. Less is more. Away with the xml! (where we don't need
it at least)

Cheers,

Leo