On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Leo Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In the next version of our in development xml model and in the
> development of gump3, configuration information is left out and
> instead provided on the commandline or using environment
> variables.

+1 to separating environment configuration from the
Module/Project/Repository/Whatever stuff making up a Gump definition.

It may too much for env vars, though.  I.e. we may end up having too
many environment variables or command line options.

Looking into my old workspace defintion I'd have basedir, pkgdir and
maybe a dir for checked out sources (if I want something other than
{basedir}/cvs).  Then there is logdir.

There may be a dir for jars, javdocs or junitreports, if I want to
publish them.  Nagging needs a mailserver and a sender address.  The
database wants to get configured, I guess I could have a location
independent of logdir for RSS feeds.  The current threads
configuration should be part of the environmental setting as well.

IMHO we still better maintain these settings in a file.  Doesn't have
to be an XML file and should be separate from project definitions.