On 11/18/05, Leo Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bing! Light bulb went on in my head. Pull not push. I'm trying to think
> about an easy way to do the pull stuff, but that is probably all dependent
> on the mechanisms maven employs.

I'm pretty sure I can do this.

> Both gump and maven 2 are neatly "inversion of control". Both made the right
> decisions but this really makes things harder as there's a wrestle for
> control. I think I now also understand better why continuum is a real need
> in a maven 2 world -- its just natural to not try and to subvert the
> control that maven 2 implements.

Right - it builds on top of it that fit that pattern.

> Why do you keep referring to a something.xml? Is it going to be a lot
> easier to have the maven jar resolver read a something.xml rather than do
> something else (like, I dunno, a database, or an XML/RPC interface, or
> ...)? Just checking -- I think there's more assumptions in my head that
> might need to get out.

No, we can read from any number of sources, nothing has to be XML.
Like what you are saying - we just need to end up with a Maven POM in
Java (where you need to end up with your Gump object model).

All I'm saying is that both Maven and Gump shouldn't have to implement
the same mechanism to read all the formats gump digests (and as Maven
pulls dependencies, it will need to get that information). If Gump
intends to do this, all it needs to do is output a file from the gump
object model and Maven can read just one format (and if it outputs a
POM, even better :)

Of course, Maven *could* do all this, but either that's doubling up,
or putting Maven at the centre of Gump, neither of which seem
desirable :)

> Gump3 will ignore everything it doesn't understand as long as its valid
> XML. I think gump2 does the same but I'm less sure -- just try :-)

Will do.

> Hey Brett, are you going to be at ApacheCon and esp. the hackathon? I'd
> love to get some help digesting maven 2 internals! :-)

Yep. See you there!

- Brett