Bernd Fondermann wrote:
However, going TLP requires experienced people. That means Zookeeper
will probably need Hadoop PMC members or others (ASF members, etc) to
join the initial PMC.

The Hadoop PMC should use criteria similar to the Incubator for graduation to TLP.

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements

The only requirement in doubt is diversity. Those diversity requirements are soft, not hard and fast. When I raised this, several board members indicated that they would rather have non-diverse TLPs than non-diverse subprojects, since the board could then directly observe whether diversity is improving within the project, and, if it is not, provide assistance.

Otherwise, in my opinion the proper path could either be Zookeeper
growing up here for a while until a proper PMC can be forked from
Hadoop, or going through - hold your breath - incubation.

These projects are already effectively in incubation, under the Hadoop PMC rather than under the Incubator PMC. The question today is whether they're ready to graduate. The board has asked for a report on this.

We need not rush into anything. If we have doubts about some cases, then our report to the board might include questions about the criteria to promote subprojects to TLP, to help clarify things.

If we, as a PMC, wish to wait for diversity in a subproject to improve, then we must commit to regular monitoring that subproject's diversity, and, if it's not improving, try to figure out why, and act to help it improve. Just as podlings should not languish in the incubator for years, a sub-project's goal should be promotion to TLP within a year or so of founding. If we don't want to commit to this oversight, then either the board or the incubator PMC could.

Doug