Hi Folks,

We are very interested in sharing what we are doing with the community.  I
think we can separate this into multiple stages.

1) To doug's point - Yes, absolutely, we want folks to review this.  The patch
is now available.  Lets work together to get it formatted as folks like in
subversion and reviewed.  Where there are issues, let's work to resolve them.
With luck folks will find this work consistent and useful.  Backwards
compatibility has been a goal, so with luck we will not ID regressions.  As
todd mentioned earlier point, a lot of this work has already been merged into
CDH and all of it has been reviewed by several apache committers already.

2) This code works, it is the best hadoop we know of.  If you run a business on
hadoop, I think you would benefit from using it.  Right now you don't have the
choice of an Apache release if you are looking for a stabilized modern version
of Hadoop.  We would like to make apache releases based on it, source and
binary, incorporating bugfixes from everyone.  To do that we would of course
need to follow the Apache Hadoop release process, which requires the release
master to produce a release candidate and the PMC to vote on the release.
Since that will require a formal future vote, no one will be surprised!

3) To nigel's point - I don't think this should distract anyone from working on
22 or other Hadoop contributions.  The 22 team will have the option of
incorporating this work.   We think it will be a better release if they do, but
that is their choice.  The majority of out effort at yahoo is not going into
0.20 (this branch), we are working on future features for hadoop.  This is
branch is the stable code we use while we are waiting for a new release.

Thanks,

E14