On 1/14/11 11:24 AM, "Dhruba Borthakur" <dhr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1) I agree this is not a good precedent. We don't support mega-patches
>>in
>> general. We are doing this as part of discontinuing the "yahoo
>>distribution
>> of Hadoop".  We don't plan to continue doing 30 person year projects
>>outside
>> apache and then merging them in!!
>>

>I think this is a very dangerous precedent and completely unwarranted.
>mega-patches are bad and is totally not the Apache way to go. I think if
>you
>want to contribute it back to Apache, you should avoid the mega-patch
>completely.

The mega-patch is not being applied to Trunk, or even the common 0.20.x
branch, so its danger is significantly mitigated.

If there is still a lot of worry about the mega-patch, there is one other
compromise:

* Take Cloudera's linearization of Y! Patches that go from 0.20.2 to
0.20.104.3 and commit them individually.
* Then take a mini-mega patch from there to the latest Y!.

That shouldn't be too hard, and meets Arun's goal of not changing the
character of the code so that testing is minimized/eliminated.  And it
incorporates some hard work on the Cloudera side that will be useful if
debugging on that branch is necessary.

I want to see as much work as possible on 0.22 -- there are major
improvements there that all can share and get the community more unified
again.  One drawback of this release is it could encourage the community
to squat on 0.20 even longer...  But sharing all that work can be seen as
a necessary step to being able let go of 0.20 and move on as well.