While this seems to be a very good and long awaited advancement (btw
thanks to Eric Sammer for making a first project on the move out of
MRUnit!) I have a concern about lack of Git support on
http://apache-extras.org. I am sure that hosting decision was deeply
considered by Apache board (or the whole Apache community) however
SVN/Mercurial seems like a real drag for most of Hadoop developers.

Basically, if contribs are moved to apache-extras.org then we are
likely to face the same situation as with the core Hadoop: lotta
development is done in personal Git repos forked from a Git/SVN mirror
and then is committed back to the man SVN repository creating an extra
cycle.

Shall we not dictate a location of contrib projects once they are
moved of Hadoop? If ppl feel like they are better be served by GitHub
perhaps they should have an option to get hosted there?
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik