From: c...@boudnik.org [c...@boudnik.org] On Behalf Of Konstantin Boudnik
[c...@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:58 PM
To: general@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Hadoop testing project [Was: [VOTE] Abandon mrunit MapReduce contrib]

While MrUnit discussion draws to its natural conclusion I would like
to bring up another point which might be well aligned with that
discussion. Patrick Hunt has brought up this idea earlier today and I
believe it has to be elaborated further.

A number of testing projects both for Hadoop and Hadoop-related
component were brought to life over last year or two. Among those are
MRUnit, PigUnit, YCSB, Herriot, and perhaps a few more. They all
focusing on more or less the same problem e.g. validation of Hadoop or
on-top-of-Hadoop components, or application level testing for Hadoop.
However, the fact that they all are spread across a wide variety of
projects seems to confuse/mislead Hadoop users.

How about incubating a bigger Hadoop (Pig, Oozie, HBase) testing
project which will take care about development and support of common
(where's possible) tools, frameworks and the like? Please feel free to
share your thoughts :)
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik