Hi all,

I spent this afternoon looking through JIRA to identify some issues that I
think would be good for new contributors to try their hand at. In my mind,
the qualities of such an issue are:

- fairly straightforward issue to solve (an experienced contributor would be
able to address it in 30-60 minutes)
- fairly tight scope (doesn't require understanding of a lot of different
moving pieces)
- easy to write a unit test for (so we get new contributors on the right
path of testing their changes)
- not likely to be controversial among contributors

I came up with about 25 of these from looking through the 0.22 and 0.23
"Affects Version" lists:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&jqlQuery=project+in+(%22HADOOP%22,+%22MAPREDUCE%22,+%22HDFS%22)+and+labels+%3D+%22newbie%22

I'd like to encourage others to look through any JIRAs that they think fit
the bill, and add the same label. Then, we can point new contributors at
this list of JIRAs -- hopefully this will get them on the right path towards
understanding our project's workflow and give some nice positive
reinforcement since they should be easy to review and commit quickly.

Thanks!

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon