> On trademarks, what about the phrase:  "New distribution for Apache
> Hadoop"?  I've seen that used, and its something that
> replaces most of the stack. [...] A proprietary derivative work with
> most of the guts replaced is not an Apache Hadoop distribution, nor
> a distribution for Apache Hadoop.

IMHO, this is the key issue. Allowing proprietary derivative works that provide
Hadoop compatible APIs to claim they are Hadoop will provoke endless confusion,
argument, claim, and counter-claim, and poison the well for all involved with
Apache Hadoop.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. - Piet Hein (via
Tom White)