> I can tell you feel I'm picking on HBase, especially in light of my
> flat out rejection of the "we want to mmap() blocks" case.

I for one understand the objection there.

Although it does negatively impact the work of a recent promising new
contributor. As a project, HBase suffers for it. Of course that is no concern
of HDFS.

On the other hand I do believe Todd has a point. MapReduce is perhaps the only
constituency that HDFS really cares about. Any reasonable person would come to
that conclusion after surveying submitted JIRAs and their resolution times (or
not). Historically with HDFS the local itch, the concern of the big MapReduce
shops, gets the scratch and others are of not much concern. Therefore there is
unfortunate business that lingers today -- Facebook, StumbleUpon, Trend Micro,
and others have effectively forked HDFS (0.20) in house for use with HBase, and
nobody I know is seriously considering using HDFS 0.22 or TRUNK due to a lack
of evidence that anyone with a stake in it is running it in production at
scale. Past discussion to mend the breach with an HBase-friendly release of
HDFS 0.20 ended with what I would describe as an inflexible and legalistic air.

Best regards,

    - Andy

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back. - Piet Hein (via
Tom White)