On Jun 9, 2011, at 10:27 AM, Tom White wrote:

Looking at current usage in Hadoop, there are only 4 LimitedPrivate
references to HBase (the http, io.retry, ipc, and metrics packages in
Common), and 2 references to Pig (the two LineRecordReader classes in
MapReduce). The other LimitedPrivate references are all to HDFS or
MapReduce. Given that Private means "Intended for use only within
Hadoop itself" (according to the javadoc), we can replace these
references with Private.

Okay so that was incorrectly stated in the Javadoc - if you read

We could also change the remaining 6 cases of LimitedPrivate to Public
(note that they are already annotated Evolving or Unstable), and
deprecate LimitedPrivate. Would this allay people's concerns?

-1
I disagree with the proposed changes.

Most folks are missing the point of limited private.
The Jira (HADOOP-5073) that created this classification gives a very detailed explanation of the motivation and purpose of the classification. Unfortunately most of the explanation in Jira were not copied to the Javadoc. My mistake here. I will file a jira to copy the classification documentation from the Jira to a Javadoc.

BTW the the javadoc is incorrect
 Private means "Intended for use only within
Hadoop itself" (according to the javadoc)

The definition in the Jira (Hadoop-5073) explains that private means project private. It is private to HDFS or private to MR etc. Private does not mean private to Hadoop - otherwise MR can use any internal private class inside HDFS. We don't want that. When we did the actual annotation tags the words project-private was simplified to private since folks felt it was too verbose.

The Jira states:

project-private
the interface is for internal use within the project and should not be used by applications. It is subject to change at anytime without notice. Most interfaces of a project are project private.
<<<<

My mistake for not checking the actual javadoc carefully when Jacob's annotations patch was committed.
I will file a jira to copy the document from the Jira to the Javadoc.

I will post a longer email explaining my position and my -1 more clearly after I have had a chance to read all the emails carefully.

sanjay