You're preaching to the choir. :-)

With Sandybridge, you're going to start seeing 10 GBe on the motherboard.
We built our clusters using 1U boxes where you're stuck w 4 3.5" drives. With
larger chassis,
You can fit an additional controller card and more drives.

More drives reduces the bottleneck and means  your performance will  be
throttled by your network and the amount of memory.

I priced out a couple of vendors and when you build out your boxes, the magic
number per data node is $10,000.00 USD. (budget this amount per data node.)
Moore's Law doesn't drop the price, but it gets you more bang for your buck.
Note that this magic number is pre-discount and YMMV. [This also gets in to
what is meant by commodity hardware.]

I agree that 10GBe is a necessity and I have been looking at it for the past 2
years, only to be shot down by my client's IT group. I agree that Cisco's ToR
switches are expensive, however there are Arista and Blade networks switches
that claim to be Cisco friendly and aren't too pricey. Somewhere around 10K a
box. (Again YMMV).

If you want to upgrade existing boxes, you will probably want to look at
Solarflare cards.

jMHO...

Mike Segel