On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:36 AM, Arun C Murthy <a...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> On Jul 13, 2011, at 3:39 PM, Arun C Murthy wrote:
>
>> It's looking like trunk is moving along rapidly - it's about time to start
>> thinking of the next release to unlock all of the goodies there.
>>
>> As the RM, my current thinking is that after we merge NextGen MR (MR-279)
>> and the HDFS-1073 branch into trunk we should be good to create the
>> hadoop-0.23 branch.
>
> Since the last time we spoke (actually, since last night, in fact!) the world
> (trunk) has changed to accommodate our wishes... *smile*
>
> HDFS-1073 and MAPREDUCE-279 are presently in trunk and I think it's time to
> cut the 0.23 branch so that we can focus on testing and stabilizing a
> hadoop-0.23 release off that branch.
>
> I propose to do it noon of the coming Monday (Aug 22).
>
> Thoughts?

I assume we will make sure the HDFS mavenization is in before then?
Tom said he intends to commit it tomorrow, but if something comes up
and it's not committed, let's make sure mavenization happens before we
branch.

Also, what will be the guidelines for committing a change to 0.23
branch? Is it "bug fix only" or are we still allowing improvements?
Given how recently MR2 was merged, I imagine there will be a lot of
things that aren't strictly bugs that we will really want to have in
our next release. I also have a couple of HDFS patches (eg the new
faster CRC on-by-default) that I'd like to get into 23.

-Todd
--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera