On 10/8/11 11:19 AM, "Ted Dunning" <tdunn...@maprtech.com> wrote:

>I hate to sound like the folks who only recently stopped using 1.4, but I
>am
>afraid that Todd is right on here.
>
>The folks who are desperate for new features are being siphoned off by
>Scala
>and Clojure which is leaving a core of recalcitrant termagants like me.  I
>think that it is going to take something as major as the EOL of Java 6 to
>get big projects to allow code that requires Java 7.

That was not the original user's question.  The question was not "When
will Hadoop REQUIRE Java 7" but "When will Hadoop SUPPORT using a Java 7
JRE".

The JVM in Java 7 is near identical to Java 6.  Sun/Oracle started
updating the JVM for JRE 6 to lag slightly (6-12 weeks) behind the (then
in development) Java 7 about 3 years ago.  After the next Java 6 update,
they will essentially be identical other than a handful of default
parameters and the presence of the invokevirtual JVM infrastructure.
The JDK has changed in many ways however -- there may be more risk there
over the next year than differences in the JVM.

Next, now that Hadoop is using Maven, it would be trivial to create a new
(optional) module that required Java 7 and provided useful things, like an
implementation of the new Java 7 File System API for HDFS.  Hadoop would
not require a Java 7 JRE, but a user that was using a Java 7 JRE would
have some extra API's available.

Java 8 will be a bigger beast that will likely result in more demands for
Hadoop to adopt somewhat rapidly.
Project Lambda will result in many requests for API enhancements around
Map/Reduce.
Project Jigsaw may finally rescue Hadoop from itself and allow proper
isolation of user code from framework code.