On 17/10/11 18:17, Arun C Murthy wrote:
Folks,

  Quick note - the dev community continues to scramble to get things wrapped up
on hadoop-0.23.

  We are down to ~30 blockers and I hope to see them resolved over the next two
weeks!

  Also, I feel Alejandro and Tom can finish up the remaining mavenization bits
by then too - as I see it, it's very close... thanks guys!

  Once done, I plan to call a vote on a hadoop-0.23.0 which we can start
deploying (and further stabilizing) right-away.

  My hope is that hadoop-0.23.0 is a strong alpha which we can then beat into
shape after, the idea is to ship soon so we get folks to play with it and help
downstream projects to integrate for e.g. Pig already works, and I know Todd is
working on getting HBase to play well too.

This is good, but I can see enough changes that we will need broad testing to confident there is no regression.

-I propose that a "pre-alpha" is done ASAP, to test the release process and let people playing with YARN, the MR engine and writing tools to have something more stable than SNAPSHOT- to play with, then maybe a fast 2-4 cycle of alpha releases for a bit.

-I can add the JIRA release numbers if you give me a list.

-Where do you think the troublespots for deployment and regressions will be?

-Anything that uses MiniMRCluster is going to go, and the migration strategy needs to be on the wiki (I can help there once I know what to do) -HBase, Hama, bigtop, MRUnit should all be pulled into the release process as part of the regression tests -It'd be good for people doing in-cluster tests to document cluster size, network config etc so we can identify what works & what doesn't though as that relies on people discussing their cluster details may be a bit patch. -HDFS migration; there really needs to be a way to test FS upgrades from various Hadoop versions, including Cloudera's -upgrades with entries in the edit log to replay