Looking at the release tag vs the current state of branch-2, I have
two concerns from the point of view of HDFS:

1) We reverted HDFS-3157 in branch-2 because it sends deletions for
corrupt replicas without properly going through the "corrupt block"
path. We saw this cause data loss in TestPipelinesFailover. So, I'm
nervous about putting it in a release, even labeled as alpha.

2) HADOOP-8285 and HADOOP-8366 changed the wire format for the RPC
envelope in branch-2, but didn't make it into this rc. So, that would
mean that future alphas would not be protocol-compatible with this
alpha. Per a discussion a few weeks ago, I think we all were in
agreement that, if possible, we'd like all 2.x to be compatible for
client-server communication, at least (even if we don't support
cross-version for the intra-cluster protocols)

Do other folks think it's worth rolling an rc1? I would propose either:
a) Revert HDFS-3157 and commit HADOOP-8285 and HADOOP-8366 on
branch-2.0.0-alpha, so these are the only changes since rc0. Roll a
new rc1 from here.
or:
b) Discard the current branch-2.0.0-alpha and re-branch from the
current state of branch-2.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon