On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> The problem there is that YARN depends on Common, and MapReduce depends on
> YARN, so we would either have a circular dependency or we would have to
> split off MapRedcue too.

I haven't been in the MR codebase much of late, so I'll defer to your
judgment here: would it be feasible to have an abstraction layer for
"cluster manager" separated out into a pile of interfaces? Then we
could leave MR inside Hadoop, and Yarn would have an "MR->Yarn
binding" module. I'm not sure where the line would be drawn, but one
possibility would be to separate out the MR _task_ code from the MR
scheduling code (AM, Job Submission, etc)

Again would be a large project, but as Eli said, it would help make MR
more "relocatable" onto other cluster schedulers like Mesos (or even a
traditional grid scheduler). Another possible boon there would be
something I've discussed with Arun a few times: it would be cool if we
could get the new MR task code (in particular the rewritten reduce,
but also some of the new exciting work that Tsuyoshi and Mariappan are
doing) running in the context of an MR1 cluster.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon
Software Engineer, Cloudera