On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 02:21 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was a _weakness_ of JBoss
that the EJB container is "built in". Why is Geronimo an extensible EJB
container, instead of a J2EE server framework that accepts a generic EJB
container as well as a generic servlet container, generic mail service,
etc?

Absolutely. Although, I think being able to plugin in a new EJB container is important, I think having a default container implementation that is extensible is critical to our success. As more and more services are piled on by the J2EE spec, we need to easily be able to add them without a total rewrite of a highly coupled system. It will also allow revolutionary new services to be built and tried out without requiring big changes to the base server.

Basically good all around...

-dain

 * Dain Sundstrom
 * Partner