On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> James Strachan asked:
> > Can the mailing list software automatically detect that the sender
> > isn't on the list and that they mention Geronimo in the mail and
> > send an automated reply?
>
> You'd have to ask infrastructure.  Hopefully the volume of such requests
> will dwindle as people find the project's page.

Um, this list and geronimo-dev are both configured to bounce any messages
from non-subscribers to the moderator (moderators for general@ are gstein,
geirm, and coar, moderators for geronimo-dev are gstein, geirm, and jim,
all @apache.org) who then can decide whether to approve that message to be
passed along to the rest of the list.  The moderator has other options: if
it's spam they can just ignore the moderation request and it'll be culled
from the queue after 10 days.  Or, they can reject the message, and give a
reason for the rejection, and that reason will go back to the original
poster.  I suspect the moderators are taking the fast approach (due to
volume) and approving messages through rather than rejecting them with a
reason.  The list configuration could be changed to reject all messages
from non-subscribers, and the message for that blanket rejection can be
configured to give pointers to the project web page, etc.

        Brian