Stephen McConnell wrote:

> I am specific asking this in the context of the incubator policies.  If
> I understand correctly, the policies require project sponsorship by a
> member and from what member only sheparding. While parhaps with best
> intent - it is excluding non-members from sponsorship and sheparding of
> new projects.

correct and by design.  part of the purpose of the incubator is to
make sure new projects fit into our technical and cultural framework.
assigning the mentoring process to a member, who has become a member
by virtue of demonstrating knowledge of the framework, makes sense.
allowing j random contributor who may or may not have a clear picture
to mentor does *not* make sense, at least not to me.

> Given a policy that equates to an exclusion of Apache
> contributors - they needs to be some form of accountability by members
> towards non-members on matters concerning incubation.

why?  the foundation is and is owned by the members, not by the
non-members.  the members have a perfectly legitimate right to
determine what will and will not become part of the foundation.
--
#ken    P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"