Java is simply the chosen implementation platform for an RFC-compliant
server, just as C/APR is the implementation platform for the HTTP server.
The wire-level protocol is RFC based and language neutral. The project can
host other languages when appropriate, and would certainly provide
information on other language bindings for LDAP.

That isn't the question I was asking. If someone else comes to Apache and says they want to start an LDAP server project using, for example, the Netscape code base (C++, I think) and another comes in wanting to establish a Python library for builtin calls to LDAP, should the ASF direct those projects to this same group or to their own projects?

I have no problem with protocol-centric projects, and no problem with
language-centric projects, but I do have a problem with protocol-centric
projects that assume one implementation language is "best".  Those types
of projects create failure conditions that are very messy from the
board's POV.  So, if the project is going to be language-agnostic, then
I want that written into the charter and growth anticipated.  If not,
then I want that written into the charter and a different name given
to this project.  Doesn't that make sense?

....Roy