robert burrell donkin wrote:

On Friday, September 26, 2003, at 08:13 AM, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

A release requires 3 +1 and a majority of those voting, wherein
the only people allowed to vote are the PMC responsible for that
code.  In other words, the usual rules apply -- it is simply harder
to get the votes.

just to make sure that i understand the general ASF policy correctly (hopefully people will correct any misunderstandings):

1. does this mean a vote of the pmc which is responsible for the code (rather than a vote of committers for that code where only pmc members have binding votes)? or can the actual mechanics of the vote vary (per project) provided that the pmc the ultimate authority approving the release?

The Board typically creates a PMC under a particular scope and charters that PMC with a set of actions - one of these it to establish the rules (policies and procedures) that it will operate under. As such a PMC is for all intensive purposes is free to establish any rules it sees fit. However, as you imply - there are general ASF policies - in fact there are multiple "general ASF Policies". My understanding is that the committers to project vote on a release plan (the voice of the community) - a release manager, identified in the release plan undertakes the work of release preparation. On completion, it is the PMC that endorces publication of release artifacts under a majority vote with a quorum of 3. Its a process I like because it rooted in a community decision.

2. does this apply to all releases (alphas, beta, and so on) or just to full (stable) releases?

My understanding is that this is applicable to all. For reference - I make a distinction between snapshot releases - typically incorporating some important new feature as distinct from offical Apache releases. I will normally publish a snapshot release on non-Apache hardware - whereas with PMC published content I try to follow Apache distribution rules/guidelines as best as possible.

Stephen.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]