On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 13:15, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> > > This really smells like an extension and abstraction of what Maven
> > > provides and initiated. Why not do this effort under their umbrella?
>
> I believe the repository (or plural) needs artefacts beyond what Java
> projects provide.

Maven is certainly focused on Java, and this is where Maven will remain
focused. I believe the Java focus is what the repository will
predominantly be used for.

> I believe it was intended to contain all apache content,
> and not just Maven built artefacts. Maven's is a nice tight use case, and
> very valuable for that, but it is only one.

It is but I honestly don't see many tools being developed that will
actually be used outside the Java landscape. Python and Perl have their
own Maven-like mechanisms already and in the domain of native code this
is predominantly handled by package management systems for the various
platforms.

As witnessed by the submission of various candidate codebases: Ruper,
Greebo, JJAR. All Java-centric like Maven and I honestly don't think
anyone at Apache is going to try to complete with the likes of CPAN and
things like up2date or apt-get to nab libraries for C/C++ are likely not
going to be superceded by any repository scheme dreamed up here.

My projection would be that it would start as a universal effort but
support for other languages will fall to the wayside except for Java
because it is the only language which is in the embryonic stages of its
development of tools like CPAN.

Other than simply downloading, the use of the repository for languages
other than Java will be scant in my estimation. Simply because the tools
already exist for building, pulling down dependencies and all the rest
of it.

Anyone who is talking on the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list appears to be a Java
head. I've seen Justin pop in to answer some queries about httpd but the
initiative seems to be heavily biased towards Java already for reasons
stated above.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl