> There is a discussion going on over at [EMAIL PROTECTED] about the
> creation of an Apache jar and artifact repository. The discussion is
> being constructive and is bringing in people from diverse efforts:
> Maven, Ruper, Greebo, [EMAIL PROTECTED], and others.

> * Who would like to Sponsor it? board? [EMAIL PROTECTED]

An ASF Member (you) can sponsor it.  It doesn't take a PMC, unless that fell
by the wayside somewhere along the way.

> This is a new kind of incubation that I'd like to try. It's not an
> established project that wants to come to Apache, rather an effort
> that wants to try and see if it can work, similar to Geronimo but
> coming mainly from Apache committers.

It doesn't seem different at all.  There are established codebases outside
of the ASF, e.g., Ruper and Greebo, existing communities around them, and an
ASF Member (you) interested in sponsoring them into the Incubator.

Given those criteria, it seems reasonable for it to follow the normal
incubation process.  There is no guarantee that it will succeed, but there
isn't supposed to be one.

        --- Noel