I didn't mean that the gallery would be under LGPL specifically, but
something akin to it.  As I understand, there are really three types of
licensing for intellectual property:
1)  Owner restricts access to the property, and charges to use it
(Microsoft,
    SCO, etc.)
2)  Owner allows others to use and enhance the property, but must
release
    enhancements likewise (GPL)
3)  Owner allows others to use and enhance the property, and
enhancements can
    be kept (LGPL, Apache)

I meant that I favor the latter option, since many can use and
contribute to a shared library, while leveraging it in products to make
a living by charging for it.  As a user of that library, it is then in
my interest to contribute to its maintenance and enhancement because
others will then support and build upon those enhancements, and we all
win.  I agree that the ASL 1.1 seems too software-specific for an image
gallery, considering its explicit reference to source and binary code.
The best approach would seem to be the creation of a new Apache Media
License for images, documentation, and other non-code property.

So, now that the LGPL issue is clarified, would something like this make
sense as an Apache project?  Since Apache is all about providing the
common tools and technologies necessary to build Web apps (and other
apps as well), I think it fits.  If not, where would such an effort
belong?  I'm against just starting another lone project on SourceForge,
because it would just get lost in the crowd.

JayZ