On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 21:34, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I'm just trying to draw a constrast between the way things used to be
> > done here, how Bob and I do things at Codehaus and the atmosphere that
> > is now here where doing anything seems to be a long drawn out, protacted
> > flurry of tome-like essays between committees.
>
> Leo and Jason were given apsite karma, given karma for the CVS modules,
> given a free hand to setup the Wiki.  Whatever help they asked for they were
> given.  In the middle of getting things setup, Jason relocated from Thailand
> to California.  Bob was given all the access he needed to migrate the
> Geronimo Wiki when it was /.'d.  You can ask him.  Leo picked up last night,
> and pushed through a bunch of changes to the code.
>
> As for Jira, there is no committee.  I have root on nagoya, and full access
> to do whatever necessary, including giving accounts to whomever needed one
> to help.  Serge, Bob and I worked on Jira and had it done except for bugs in
> the migration process.  Yes, you can setup new installs and new projects.
> That much is easy.  And if it were not for needing to import projects from
> codehaus, which has to be done BEFORE setting up new local projects, we'd be
> OK to bring up a new install.  Migration is not built into Jira.  The XML
> export is for backup, not migration.  I hacked a migration of the database,
> but we ran into some problems.  Jeff, who works for Atlassian, asked if he
> could take over the migration so that they could debug it.  So we're waiting
> while Jeff finishes whatever he's doing related to migration.

Why don't you just take our entire install with a real database dump and
delete what you don't want. I'm sure with a little consultation with the
other projects they probably wouldn't mind.

Then you can have the whole self-contained beast up and running, who
cares about the migration just delete what's non-apache and go from
there. It's MySQL on both ends so probably not that big a deal.

> I'll point out the irony of yelling about infrastructure throwing up
> roadblocks on the day that you asked for a change in the infrastructure,
> volunteered to do the work on it, and became part of the infrastructure
> team.  :-)

I don't think it's anyone intentionally throwing up roadblocks. I don't
think any of it is intentional when things don't get done it's just
entropy kicking in. And I have been helped many times and I am not
thankless but there still are obstacles but I'm fully willing to discuss
the problem and try to help, take care of things I can myself to
alleviate the burden on infrastructure.

>       --- Noel

jvz.

Jason van Zyl