(I notice that some individuals got dropped from the
original posting. Are they on the *.apache mailing lists?)

Neeraj Bajaj wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I was wondering when can we start merging the JAXP 1.3 sources ? Merging
> the code in branch/review/testing/committing to main trunk
> would take time so at least from my side i would like to see this work
> started as early as possible say from tomorrow.
> What is the general procedure ? Is there any formality that needs to be
> completed first ?

Others have mentioned the legal side, so my comments
are about code and community issues.

> What is the opinion of
> (Xml-commons/Xerces/Xalan) committers ?

I am an xml-commons committer and user of this stuff
in Apache Cocoon and Apache Forrest. So i am looking
forward to more people working at Xml-commons to
provide reliability.

One thing that we must have this time around, is a
version number on the xml-apis.jar filename. [1]
I suppose that is an Xml-commons "build" issue.
By the way, that build system is seriously in need
of improvement, but it gets us by.

You would have noticed that there is very little
activity with the xml-commons CVS, so it would be
fine to work on trunk.

At some stage soon, we need to move xml-commons to SVN.
Hopefully that will not disrupt progress.

> As the sources would be put in a branch so it won't affect normal
> development but it would be good if we can restrict
> large chunk of changes to the main trunk and fix only critical changes.
> It would help merging the changes back to main
> trunk. What do others think ?

I am a little confused about your planned procedure.
Are you suggesting to add a copy of the core code
to Xerces/Xalan then moving it to Xml-commons later?
It worries me that we end up with copies.

On related matters, there is past discussion, e.g.
[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?t=106739445900002

--
David Crossley