Ceki, the incubator was created because some well-meaning people
at Apache were making themselves busy helping a thousand projects
bloom without noticing that some were weeds.  It only requires one
bad project to destroy most of what the foundation has accomplished.

The incubator weeds out the single-developer fiefdoms because we
know they are at high risk, regardless of the current intentions
of the developers.  Apache was founded to support *collaborative*
development of open source software.  There is nothing wrong with
requiring a community exist before something becomes an Apache
project, even if it is a chicken-and-egg problem for the incubator.
Other projects can and should be hosted elsewhere.

Of course the incubation process is coercive -- all process is.
The question to ask is whether our process achieves our goals,
not whether our process is representative of the lowest common
denominator of project success.

Cheers,

Roy T. Fielding                            <http://roy.gbiv.com/>
Chief Scientist, Day Software              <http://www.day.com/>