Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Richard Feit wrote:

it would be very healthy for us to focus solely on exiting
the Incubator.  We are totally committed to building a real
dev community around Beehive

Neither of those was in doubt.  :-)

we need all the guidance we can get in achieving that.

How has it been going?  Have you had input from the project Mentor(s)?

Definitely. Craig (McClanahan) has chimed in publicly and privately, with both solicited and unsolicited advice. He's been great about letting us know what smells bad (e.g., the idea of moving all bug traffic off of beehive-dev). This is just a case where we need all the input we can get.

the main issue that I'm aware of is an insufficient amount of
discussion on the beehive-dev list.

Does the PPMC concur with that, or are you simply acknowledging my
perception?

My impression is that we have the same perception across the board. We've discussed the fact that there's not enough activity in the list, and that too much of our dev traffic is in JIRA. I think we're finally seeing beehive-dev pick up steam (even excluding JIRA/build mail, there's been almost as much list activity in the first week of June as there was in all of May). It feels like we're in a cycle that started with ambiguous use of beehive-dev, is now in a phase where there's a lot of traffic about process/infrastructure/planning, and is moving into the realm of design/architecture/integration.

we clearly need to have more design/discussion in the list
(and, incidentally, less of it within JIRA issues).  I
feel that this is something we can address.

:-)

Beyond this major issue, do you feel that there are other hurdles
for us to clear before exiting the Incubator?

When we seem more discussion on the list, we'll all have a better idea of
how well the core principles of the ASF are being applied.  After all,
Incubation isn't a set of hurdles to clear; it is a process to (attempt to)
ensure that projects have clean IP and a healthy community that follows ASF
principles.

It's good for us to remember that. :) If you see anything that makes you think we're not on the right path, please let us know. Otherwise, I think we know where to focus for now, and I'm sure Craig will keep us in line. Thanks for all the feedback.
Rich

        --- Noel