While in general I try to steer clear from licensing discussions these
days (been too long a part of the Linux crowd in general and LKML in
particular), I do strongly feel that we should not dilute the ASL by
making "an exception" or "changing a default license".

The good thing about the ASL (unlike GPL) is, that it does not scare
commercial adopters and contributors away. Having something "GPL
compatible" means IMHO that some of these will be advised by their
lawyers not to come to Harmony.

Most people that advocate GPL or a GPL-like license over the ASL want to
"make sure that their code cannot be exploited by commercial companies
to make a buck from it". Which is a political position that IMHO is not
compatible with the whole idea of the ASF.

I'd like to point out the last sentence of
http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html

"The ASF will not dual-license our software because such licenses make
it impossible to determine the conditions under which we have agreed to
collaborate on a collective product, and are thus contrary to the Apache
spirit of open, collaborative development among individuals, industry,
and nonprofit organizations."

And personally, I'd like to keep it that way. Less politics, rough
consensus and running code. If we change any part of a project away from
ASL and towards a "GPL compatible license", then we will sooner or later
enter a flamew^Wdiscussion about some contribution on the mailing list
that was intended by the author as a "poison pill" into our code base.

Been there, got burned and no T-Shirt. :-)

        Best regards
                Henning