On Mon, 2005-09-12 at 19:16 +0800, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Monday 12 September 2005 18:16, David Crossley wrote:
> > We seem to be having endless discussions at some
> > projects about what it means to be a committer and
> > a PMC member and an ASF member.
>
> Some "heavy-weighters" have been arguing for long that "committer" is not a
> role but a right/status, and that all committers should be PMC members. Not
> sure if such argument is still current or not though.

Consider the situation where a company is dedicated to a certain
project. Surely many patches will arise from the employees of the
company. That will become pretty soon overkill for existing committers
to apply those patches.

Now given them the right to commit their changes will help leverage the
work load of the project. Normally because it is their working job they
are more concerned about the code then the community.

We always state community is more important then code. Following this
thought would mean that this patch provider have to still learn the ASF
way and should not be PMC member. That is were the committer right comes
into play. That became IMO the incubation for PMC members. The new
committer are learning the responsibilities of a PMC member.

I am actually unsure whether or not a committer role makes sense because
e.g. the cocoon based projects have given the commit right to each
other. That means per definition of the role (that we have now) that new
committer entering e.g. forrest will be as well committer to cocoon
without even to have to submit a single line of code.

I see it more as right that makes IMO the following roles
user -> senior user (with commit rights)->PMC member->ASF member

salu2
--
thorsten

"Together we stand, divided we fall!"