On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 04:19:21PM -0800, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Give me a break.

No. The incubator PMC has "given breaks" before and it let to undesired
side effects so now we're not going to do that anymore.

> I'm not trying to hide anything.

In general, when discussing policy or a general case, it is a good idea to
not use a personal form of communication, because policy has nothing to do
with specific individuals.

Nevertheless, noted.

> You have a goal
> to make sure that no one is confused about the status of an
> incubating project, and you have a proposal that you believe works
> for mailing lists.  I am suggesting alternate proposal.

"You", "I", "me". *We* have a goal. *You* needs to be a part of *we*, in
general there is no "I" involved. This is "us vs a problem", not "you vs
me". Don't confuse the two.

> If you don't like my proposal, simply state that

I read mads his email as exactly that. I even saw two arguments (one
its clean and simple, two its less cumbersome if we decide halfway
through incubation that a project is a better fit elsewhere).

> , but please don't
> imply that offering an alternate proposal is anything else.

C'mon, dude! Do you want to bicker about what some words from someone in some
email thread might have "implied" or do you want to help tackle the issue at
hand?

Offering an alternate proposal as part of a vote thread after the discussion
has taken place already where one did not participate *is* "anything else" by
the way. What I didn't like is the very fact that someone out-of-the-blue
proposes
an alternate, since that derails the vote thread, takes time and energy of
everyone, and is just counter-productive in the end. You may notice that both
Cliff
and I have some reservations but we're not getting in the way of making
progress.

> If you have specific, issues with my proposal, that will be welcome also.

Mads listed two. Of those I find the "simpler" qualifier extremely important,
since in general this stuff is not, and that's what leads to confusion,
frustration, etc.

(...)

Anyway, I suggest you accept there is no "break" to be had, you weren't around
when the relevant discussions took place, and hence shouldn't re-start one now.

LSD