On Tuesday 17 January 2006 18:00, Raphaël Luta wrote:

Since you placed this in a separate paragraph, I must comment of it
independently of the rest of your post;

> An established codebase is *much* more difficult to restructure
> than starting from scratch.

Not by default.
for FILE in `ls | grep -v \.svn` ; do svn rm $FILE ; done
svn commit -m "Heavy restructure started."
svn mkdir src/
and so on...

> Even if someone would be willing to
> contribute to this projet to help address major technical issues,
> it would require a huge amount of effort to effect a significant
> architectural change because of community inertia and backward
> compatibility requirements.

You're making a lot of assumptions with a statement like that. It may or may
not be true. Revolutions do happen, and sometimes they are good, often they
are not. The best revolutions happens with (time * evolution).

I agree with Sam. Although I am not particularily fond of the AJAX hype in
itself, and would be happy if the proposal is called something else like
Sambal, DryDock or Quintessen, a seeding codebase can barely be a bad thing
and if a set of good people want to try to grok the Apache Way and prepare to
subject to the Incubation process, then WHY NOT let them and whoever in ASF
to join in on the fun.
If Xyz have another "purportedly better" way of doing AJAX, then submit a
Incubation proposal, with or without seeding codebase and gather the
community to make it happen. As history have shown, ASF doesn't mind
competing (successfully!) with itself.

Cheers
Niclas