If you ask me what my opinion on OpenEJB's future or James' opinion on ActiveMQ's future, we'll both probably tell you TLP is a good goal eventually.

We've more or less been running as TLPs in relation to Geronimo for the past two plus years already, just at Codehaus. We've seen how that plays out and we'd like to try a much more unified front for a while and see what shakes out. We're all ready for a change in the status-quo.

The Geronimo world is awkward and unbalanced. We have too tight integration with OpenEJB such that the standalone version of that completely disappeared. We have too little integration with ActiveMQ such that the things you can do with standalone ActiveMQ you can't do with the Geronimo ActiveMQ. We have parts of Geronimo which could very well become separately reusable components, like the transaction manager or the XBean code. We're aren't successfully leveraging each other's communities to the fullest. All in all, we don't make decisions together and lean on each other as much as we could.

I'd really like to see all our projects rolled up, balanced out, then split up again along possibly different lines with potentially more standalone pieces than we see now.

TLP is a good goal, but I really see value in the journey.

-David