On Mar 19, 2006, at 6:25 AM, robert burrell donkin wrote:

On 3/19/06, Leo Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 12:26:04PM +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:

<snip>

3 there is no indication the form which CLA's and CCLA's are relevant.
this makes oversight difficult.

PROPOSAL: the form should include official names (as listed in the
foundation documents) for those donating the code.

Hrmpf. Aren't official names supposed to be private?

didn't know that

I think we have a
map of "nickname" -> "official name" which is somewhere private. I think the rule should be that all non-official names should be registered in
that mapping.

anyone know where this lives?

Do you mean this?

 http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html

should this be in the incubator repository or in the project?

As long as the policy documents where it is, then it should be ok. I'd
vote for incubator repo.

+1

anyone care to suggest a suitable location in the incubator repository?

+1 it would be nice to have a single location which contained all of the original untouched donations.

5 the VOTE from the project receiving the code is unnecessary and
confusing. it serves no useful legal purpose and normal apache process
can handle objections when the code is committed.

PROPOSAL: scrap this requirement

*shrug*. I like how it makes explicit that its a group decision (which also implies you don't go sue the individual that did the commit if there
is ever a problem).

the vote proved to be confusing in practice. the concensus seems to be
+0 'yes but only if it's legal'.

the legal oversight is supposed to be provided by the incubator pmc
not the project where the code lands.

this is probably a good reason why the donation should be initially
committed into the incubator repository. it can then be yanked by
anyone in incubator. alternatively, the code could be committed to a
private repository since it's only there for the records.

AIUI the commit should be safe enough since the execution will be done
by an ASF official or member. processing a grant is an official ASF
operation and the work is done on behalf of the foundation.

anyone who knows more like to jump in here?

I personally think a vote is just good form. Donations of entire cvs or svn trees require the assistance of infrastructure and I would hate to ask them to do something and then have the community ultimately reject the code.

-dain