On 6/8/06, Noel J. Bergman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> in [the JSF API] there are lots of classes with lots of code and logic.

Not uncommon, which is why I generally consider an API project to be a bit
of a waste.

depends on what you mean by project :)

if a top level project is meant, i now think you're right.

if a focussed effort to improve cross-cut links communication channels for
API specification implementations is meant, then IMO it's definitely not at
all a waste of energy.

downstream consumers who care of OSS are despirate for open source
implementations. there are a host of legal issues which could be understood
more easily if developers could break free and discuss this issue across
projects.

Instead, projects that implement specifications should populate
the standards part of http://projects.apache.org:

  http://projects.apache.org/indexes/standards.html

darn - you've already uncovered my cunning plan :-)

i has been thinking of suggesting that a lot of this could be done by just
adding more meta-data and reusing the projects mojo...

i can think of a few downsides with just using projects.apache.org:

1 very low visibility (even downstream packagers really don't know about the
number of API)
2 they are specification implementations. there are also a number of API
implementations at apache: clean room, redistributable API implementations
are very useful for building.
3 inability to home code. would we every need to do that?
4 inability to create releases (see Manfred's idea about re-releases with
separate meta-data for maven)

WS, Geronimo, Harmony, etc., projects are all unrepresented.

yep. one of the major elements of an effort would be cateloging the
available APIs and i'd the information added to the meta data. might be some
questions about some clean room specification APIs without implementations
that have passed the TCK...

when I think of JSF API 1.2, I doubt that it would be easy to
> separate api development from impl development.

OT, but how tightly will you have to work with Tomcat to support the
common
EL?

isn't EL maintained in jakarta?

- robert