On Jul 13, 2006, at 10:49 PM, Ted Leung wrote:

On Jul 13, 2006, at 7:16 PM, David Blevins wrote:

In the ASF we do have PMC Chairs, period.
Now let's say, someone wins this debate on wether or not having a PMC Chair from inside or outside the project is more or less likely to result in dependence. I'm not of the opinion that we shouldn't be removing temptations or confusing dualities of the ASF while projects are in the incubator only for these projects to struggle with them after graduation.

Actually on the projects that I have previously mentored, we had PPMCs. We did not have a PMC chair until the project graduated. So we are discussing whether having a chair for the PPMC is a good idea or not, and and my thinking on this was "it would be good practice". But now I am starting to think that maybe the good practice that is needed is how to work without a chair or official leader. If you put that person in from the start, then there is never an opportunity to learn that you can function without that person.

Ok, I see.  Hmm... going to have to think about that.

I have the gut feeling there is something we can do to marry these concerns, as my primary concern is how the incubation ends. I.e. I think there should be an opportunity before incubation ends to learn to function *with* that person and someone in the project to learn to *be* that person.

-David