On Jul 20, 2006, at 7:30 PM, Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 14:54 -0700, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
On Jul 19, 2006, at 3:39 PM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

This piling on behavior seems to have come from the notion that if
you get
on the initial vote, you're in, but otherwise you have to earn
committership.  And the justification for the first part seemed to
be making
sure that a company could not start with a lot of its own people,
and keep
out existing ASF committers and other interested parties.

I think people just got in the habit and assumed it was policy.

Please remember Roy that your mails do not make policy either.

Which is, of course, why I said "I think".

"Policies" (for whatever level they exist here) have been set up
established practice- and as you know the mode of operation here so far
has been "add yourself to the wiki". So for all practical purposes, it
*was* the policy here until your email.

No.  Policies are set by agreement of the incubator PMC.  What people
do in the *absence* of policy is not policy.

I have no problem with changing it but don't try to make it look like
there's "piling on" when established practice has is followed. I'm
absolutely +1 for changing the process and having the proposer control
who joins the project as you recommend.

The change would be adding policy where none existed before.

....Roy