The synapse ones are clearly software though... At this point I am not trying to argue to use or non-use of a name. Just understand how does Apache deals with this.

Maybe we should use Synapse as the comp project to understand as it is quite a recent project, and this link http://www.synapse.co.in/homepage/trademarks.shtml.

How was the decision made around Synapse?

Carl.

Jean T. Anderson wrote:
Carl Trieloff wrote:
Here are some examples for Derby.

Derby is a relational database implemented entirely in java, which
entered the Apache Incubator in August 2004. With those points in mind ....

1) This looks like Cub Scout race management software and the most
recent date on the web site is 1998:
www.geocities.com/~pack215/pwd-*software*.html

2) The entry below is game software. The dates on the downloads at
http://www.derbysoftware.com/index.php?name=Downloads&req=viewdownload&cid=1
are 16-Apr-2006, but I don't find any clue on the website as to when the
company was formed:
www.*derby**software*.com/

3) It looks like this is car racing and is ultimately a U.S. Scouting
Service project (http://usscouts.org/pinewood/cspdref.html), with a most
recent date on the web site of 1999:
www.rahul.net/mcgrew/*derby*/resource.html

4) It looks like this download is a regional map covering Nottingham and
Derby, and it has a release date of 10th December, 2004:
www.shopireland.ie/*software*/detail/184348191X/A-Z-Nottingham-&-*Derby*-/

5) The only date I can find for this Derby skydiving site is 2005:
www.tracking*derby*.com/tdadownload.php

Of these 5 hits, the Cub Scout car racing (#1 and #3) are the ones that
pre-date Apache Derby and are the most likely to be questioned. I don't
know if they came up in the original search in the summer of 2004, but I
doubt that either would be confused with a relational database.

 -jean