Dion,

> What point is there in having something incubated if there are no users?

We're talking about a balance, and most specifically about ensuring that
only users who have made a specific and informed decision are using the code
while it is still in the Incubator.  The Apache brand has a value and
meaning, and users need to know that there is a greater risk of the project
not being around here for them, and that the project is not endorsed.  The
ASF also needs to prevent brand abuse, which is a distinct possibility, and
some would claim is already a goal of some contributors.

> Why have releases from within the Incubator at all, in that case?

:-)  Keep in mind that at one point, *NO* releases were allowed, and that I
was one of the ones who argued the point that you are making.  That we do
want to permit *SOME* sort of release, in order to allow people who *ARE*
fully informed and are willing to take the risk to more easily use the code
than having to build it from source control, which is what was previously
the only way.

Maven aside, there is no obstacle at all.  Download the code just like you
would any other package.  For maven, an extra step or so to make sure that
the person who is executing maven has very specifically and consciously
opted in to take that specific component from the Incubator.

And if you'll also notice, I recognize that there are transition issues for
existing projects, particularly existing Open Source projects.

        --- Noel