Hi,
Besides voicing a strong +1 to Jim and Geir's comments, I want to add one more:

30 users online at any given time - that our list traffic got more
focussed and thus more valuable for following/ accessing the archives.

Focus may be nice, but it's sometimes counter to innovation.  In my
experience people are a lot less willing to go off-topic on IRC
because they feel more like they may be wasting others' time.

Mailing lists, because of their not-immediate nature, have (again in
my experience) less of this barrier to off-topic, less-focused
discussion that nonetheless sometimes leads to the best ideas.

If people (e.g. newcomers to the project) think (even if they have the
wrong perception) that the list is only good for "focused" (i.e.
down-selected by those fortunate enough to have been at the relevant
IRC chat) discussion, you're losing out ideas, discussion, and
ultimately probably contributors.

Yoav