On 30 Aug 06, at 11:18 PM 30 Aug 06, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

Hmm, we are not setting any limits on anyone else, just ourselves. We
the incubator folks will not automatically sync *our* repo to the
central repo *automatically*. Everyone else can do what they want
within their rights.

That doesn't really jive with what Justin said in an earlier thread. In that we should tell people not to redistribute incubator artifacts and ask they comply out of courtesy.

-- dims

On 8/30/06, Jason van Zyl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 30 Aug 06, at 10:16 PM 30 Aug 06, Davanum Srinivas wrote:

> Please see this email from Noel:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=incubator-
> general&m=115440482328786&w=2

Why can't both aims be met? That of user protection and user
convenience?

I cannot see the how marking *each* and *every* incubator artifact
with a version that clearly says it is from the Apache Incubator
gives less clarity then adding a repository element.

In a standard dependency report like:

http://jackrabbit.apache.org/dependencies.html

It would be very clear looking at the version that it came from the
incubator. And if people download these artifacts with non-Maven
tools like an Ant Task, Ivy or simply check in versions of these
artifacts then they will clearly be seen as coming from the
incubator.  If we are going to make it clear then let's do it in the
place where it will be seen by everyone regardless of the tool they
use to build.

Also the Maven 2.x IDE integration will soon have the ability to pull
indices from repositories in order to provide drop down/searchable
lists of available artifacts so it will be easy to grab new artifacts
to put in your POMs. An IDE could easily provide a set of
repositories to pull indices from at which point the user is going to
merrily start pulling down dependencies. When you select an artifact
you always select the version, like in the Eclipse integration, so
people will see "apache-incubator" over and over. They will see the
repository entry once.

If I then had to go to the people doing IDE integration and say
please don't include the apache incubator repository. So you are
going to make us:

1) Deny people the right to distribute software as described in our
license
2) Make the Maven developers go search out all third party
integration efforts to prevent them from providing convenient access
to certain repositories

I think this is a little heavy handed, unfair and unnecessary.

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jason van Zyl
[EMAIL PROTECTED]