On 10/8/06, William A. Rowe, Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Garrett Rooney wrote:
> I disagree with filtering even inactive old contributors to an
> incoming project (at least for open source projects, I'm not sure how
> I feel with regard to inactive contributors to proprietary code that's
> being contributed).  I think it would be quite wrong if a former
> contributor were to show up 6 months after the project moved to the
> ASF and had to jump through all sorts of hoops to gain access to the
> code again.  At the very least we should have some provision for
> preemptively marking inactive people as emeritus committers, who can
> come back at any time.

Uhm there is, no?

 * join committers by following the instructions
 * introduce yourself
 * declare yourself emeritus/temporarily (at least) retired

Otherwise

 * join the dicussion
 * introduce yourself as the folk who wrote the Xxxx components
 * ask to participate

If you can't do the first over the course of 2 mos, 3 mos, 6 mos or
the year it takes to graduate, follow the second course?

Somewhere in this scheme common sense needs to be re-introduced :)

Ok, so I'm mostly using my experience from Subversion as an example
here, since it's the largest non-ASF project I'm involved in.  We've
got a large number of formerly very active but currently dormant
committers.  Every so often one of them will become active again, and
contribute either a small useful bug fix, or a large new feature
(usually by becoming active again for a period of time, because they
no better than to drop a code bomb on us).  I'd hate for there to be
any impediment to such a thing just because a project moved to the
ASF.  The fact that the committer would have to send in the CLA and
wait for an account is already an impediment enough, it gets even
worse if they have to potentially fall into a debate with the younger
generation of developers over their "right" to commit access.

-garrett