On 3/15/07, Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Two parts to the vote:

ONE: Should Incubator tarballs go in the normal place (and thus mirrors).

[ ] +1
[X] -1

TWO: Should there be an Incubator maven repository.

[X] +1
[ ] -1

Vote to last a week. Unless people are bored of replying, or it's a
flamefest, or we're too busy pursuing eternal enlightenment and
running free in the mountains.

My reasoning goes like this:  we make incubating projects go through
some special hoops like wanting "incubating" as part of the artifact
filenames, in an effort to warn people that these things are *not*, in
fact, "official" Apache releases (whatever that means).  When you are
using the normal Apache distribution network to make them available,
and (for Maven users) not even making it visible that you're using a
non-official release because they didn't have to configure any
repository, you blur the distinction so much that it's going to get
totally lost.

If we accept this argument, then we naturally need a place where the
incubating "releases" can be retrieved from; hence, the m2-incubating
repository.  If we do not accept this argument, then AFAICT we are
basically making the "incubating projects cannot do releases" policy
inoperative.

A secondary benefit of the approach I recommend is that access to the
Apache distribution channels are a carrot towards actually graduating.
The corresponding stick (getting thrown out of incubation) hasn't
happened enough to be considered a viable threat (and the cases that
it has occurred have been over community issues, not "they just aren't
getting around to graduating" cases).

Hen

Craig