On Apr 25, 2007, at 6:23 AM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
On Wednesday 25 April 2007 11:55, Patrick Linskey wrote:
  * OpenJPA includes software developed by the SERP project
    Copyright (c) 2002-2006, A. Abram White. All rights reserved.

The "All rights reserved." means that it has not been
properly licensed, and I as the licensee of OpenJPA will have
no rights to it either.

Clarification, please.

Serp is BSD-licensed. I'm not sure if that answers the clarification,
but seems like it's a useful tidbit. If I understand correctly, the
call-out in LICENSE.txt handles that case sufficiently.

Ahhhh... I now see that the LICENSE file contains all the licenses appended
after each other. Not exactly my personal preference, but Ok.

A more detailed draft policy that has been circulated on board@ some months ago (I don't think its on the web yet) by our legal VP (a.k.a. Cliff) specifies that all these licenses go into the LICENSE file.

The main reason that the policy is of draft status is that Cliff doesn't have enough cycles to take care of it all. A legal committee has been formed recently which will hopefully help address, so that this kind of information becomes sufficiently public.

I believe some information rests within the legal-discuss archives

  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/

but I don't subscribe to that list.

A rule of thumb -- when in doubt, follow the example set by httpd...

  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE

cheers,

Leo